Club of the Month – BSU

Back to Article
Back to Article

Club of the Month – BSU

Jade Calpo, RHS News Reporter

Of all the clubs on campus, BSU, or Black Student Union, is one of the most impactful ones. This club holds communal support from many students. Many clubs like BSU exist on the campus such as Latino club or Asian pacific Islander club. The goal is to celebrate and raise awareness of different and unique cultures.

BSU is the perfect for club for February considering that February is Black History Month. That being said, the club has planned many events for the month of February, to help spread awareness for the culture. The festivities began with Dashiki Day on February 7th. Many mustangs showed up in their own Dashikis. The following week, the club hosted Durag day. Mustangs were encouraged to show up to school wearing their Durags. They also held a wave check contest during lunch. These events help get the rest of the school involved, even if they are not members of the club. It offers an opportunity to share in the culture, and take part in the ultimate goal, which is to celebrate Black culture.  

Though Dashiki day and Durag day are lighthearted and fun ways to celebrate African culture, the club also wants to provide people with information behind the culture. This is to not only celebrate it, but to understand it as well. On February 24th, the club will be hosting a Black History Program during tutorial. The purpose of this program is to discuss Black history, while also tying it into the modern era. Not only this, but each day during the morning announcements, President, Joy Moore, announces a fact about Black History to enlighten the students more on the culture.

Even though February is Black History month, the club celebrates African culture and heritage year round. Talking to secretary of the club, Kayla Moore, she said, “In general for the club, we talk about issues in the black community and we teach you about black culture”. She has been part of BSU since her freshman year and has a good time as she says, “I really enjoy it and I decided I was going to run for the board my junior year”. She noted the club is very inclusive as there are members from many different ethnic backgrounds. People want to expand their knowledge of others cultures. For the future of the club, she hopes that it is quite fun and has a lot of members.

Now that you know more about the club, consider joining. BSU is a powerful force on campus looking to make an impact. By attending just one meeting, you are sure to gain knowledge about African culture, and become more aware to what the club is all about. Be apart of the movement and support BSU.