It’s Lonely at the Top

Back to Article
Back to Article

It’s Lonely at the Top

Andrew Umipeg, RHS Sports Reporter

That’s right, our very own Boys Varsity Soccer team stands alone atop their MEL division standings.  They are the very first boys soccer team to win the division in all of Rodriguez history! With a 2-0 road win against the Vacaville Bulldogs, the Mustangs had clinched the first place spot in the league.  But they weren’t done yet. No, they were out for more. Indeed, after beating the Vanden Vikings on the Mustang’s Senior Night, our boys had successfully completed the perfect season. They had clinched playoffs, they had won league, and they had solidified a flawless record in conference.  

The Mustangs success hadn’t come out of thin air, however.  I got a chance to talk to Noah Ross, Captain and striker for the Varsity roster, and he put much of their success into perspective.  He put it blatantly: they didn’t have the best start to their season. Emerging out of preseason with only one win, Ross had said the overall morale of the team was pretty low.  

Having said that, things had been bound to turn around quickly for the Mustangs.  After winning their first league game, they soon had a new boost of confidence that they rode the rest of season.  Ross described a clear change in work ethic across the team as well. Of course, natural talent had played a factor in their success this season, but a majority of this success was largely in part due to hard work during practice, especially in the cold, rainy, and windy Cordelia nights.  

The 2018-2019 Varsity Soccer season certainly had its fair share of highlights as well.  For one, Dylan Canning, a winger, had scored the first goal of his high school career. The energy from his teammates had been electric as they swarmed around him.  Another surprise occurrence was seeing Sebastian Alatorre, the 3-year starting goalie for the Varsity team, play striker from time to time and actually succeed quite well.  In fact, Alatorre finished the season with 3 recorded goals to his name. This season was one for the books, and it will be exciting to see how strong the team is next year.