The Stampede

The International Effect of ISIS

Jordan Magee & Bianca Reyes, RHS Word News Reporter

If there was one acronym that almost all people around the world know, it would be ISIS. Each individual may have different opinions on the terrorist group, but there’s no doubt that their actions have negatively affected civilians in numerous countries. The group’s motto “baqiya wa tatamadad” or “remaining and expanding” exemplifies their intentions to augment their ideologies.

The Stampede decided to get the staff’s input on this group, in hopes of getting opinions that can inform the entire school. The first to express their thoughts was the AP Language and English 11 teacher, Katherine Gagnon. She emphasized the methods of the group as being unnecessary, saying that she thinks “extremism is never effective.” Gagnon also doesn’t miss stating that their terrorist attacks are “sad”, and that “just the idea” of needing barriers and a lot of police is sad as well. She recalls a trip to Europe this summer by summarizing how tourists and locals alike had to remain cautious in order to protect themselves. Not to mention, places within the continent had developed concrete barriers to avoid cars crashing into groups of people. She believes that the goal of ISIS is “to cause chaos”, and that unfortunately there isn’t really a clear solution as to how to end terrorism.

The French 1 and 2 teacher, Courtney Rauw, agrees with Gagnon’s sentiment as she believes ISIS is extremely inhumane. She does not believe in their ideologies as “they are not democratic” and “involve violence.” Just recently, ISIS claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing in Syria. The United States is in the midst of pulling troops from that country. This puts Trump’s administration in a predicament. Should we keep troops there to protect Syrian civilians or pull them out and let Syria deal with the problem? One solution Rauw suggested was to keep accepting refugees. She stated that “we need to get them [refugees] into somewhere safe because they should not be living in that environment.”

It is almost impossible to defeat ISIS, despite Trump’s claims saying that his presidency would be the one to end their reign. Tamara Moore, an AP Biology teacher here at Rodriguez, asserts that “ISIS is not a centralized gang if you will. They are spread out in all continents, countries, cities, and states around the world” which suggests that they are a much bigger threat than some think. Moore gave an insightful opinion as she said, “It’s not as simple as taking the guns away. The issue is a way of thinking, which is hard to change. If someone’s racist, if someone’s a pedophile… it’s because of the way they think and that’s harder to change than actions.”

ISIS is an internationally known terrorist group that has wreaked havoc on millions of innocent civilians. Whether you agree with their ideologies or not, one thing is certain: one should not commit violence against groups of people in the name of their beliefs. It’s immoral and sad to think that humans destroy one another in such ways.