The Hunt for A Playoff Spot Begins

Andrew Umipeg, RHS Sports Reporter

Even in the midst of the freezing cold winter, the Boys Soccer season trudges on.  The winter sport doesn’t stop for anything, whether it be freezing cold temperatures, dense fog, or even the pouring rain.  It’s a brutal task, especially being out there in just shorts and short-sleeved jerseys. But our Mustang Varsity Soccer team is up for the challenge.  The team is always out there, regardless of the weather, running and working hard.

Their hard work is also seeming to pay off as they head into the regular season on a high, getting their first league game victory against the Will C. Wood Wildcats 3-0.  Nilesh Sandhu, Senior (#11), was a standout player from the match against Will C. Wood. Sandhu scored twice during the game, bringing his goal scoring total to five in the year so far.  He has spent all four years of his high school soccer career playing on the Varsity roster. Last year, Sandhu made the MEL All-League Second team as a Junior. He took it as a great honor, but internally, he felt he knew he could attain better.  That is why this year, Nilesh Sandhu is working harder than ever, to prove to the league he deserves to make the MEL All-League First team. The diligent senior put in hours upon hours in his off-season to perfect, and hone his skills on the field.  He has also stepped up to take a more active role in leading his team, vocally and by his actions. All in all, Sandhu is hopeful for a good season for himself, and the team and is confident they will make it deep into the playoffs.

The Mustangs also showed out in their game against the Fairfield High Falcons, with a 5-0 score.  Our Boys Varsity Soccer team is off to a great promising start thus far and we can’t wait to see them have a strong remainder of the season.