The Stampede

Post Season Cross Country Article

Taylor Wilkinson, RHS News Reporter

The season has crossed the finish line! As the cross country season has come to an end, our mustangs have gone over some of their favorite memories from the 2018 season. In particular, Simon Stubbert, one of the only underclassman on the varsity team, a favorite memory is the time when all the boys of the team went paintballing because he really enjoys hanging out with his team. The teams also just talk and have a lot of fun on the runs that they do and participate in. Stubbert really enjoys hanging out with his varsity boys which promotes a whole lot of team bonding. As a sophomore on the varsity team, Stubbert feels pretty different because he is the only sophomore on the whole varsity team. It feels weird training mainly with people that are older than him and have been at the school longer than he has. Personally, he believes that he has improved over time in the season, specifically in the beginning he got a personal record of 16.53 and now how gone down to 15.33. His plan is to improve and each time gets way better than he did before. And as for the team, Simon claims that the team definitely did improve because as time went on they kept getting faster and faster. Stubbert even made it into sectionals that are scheduled to happen on Saturday. It was supposed to be sooner but due to the fires, they had to reschedule. It’s even possible they will have to reschedule again depending on the state of the fires and all the smoke.

Along with cross country, Stubbert intends to do Track this year as well. He claims, “Cross and Country are my things, it’s what I do.”

Cross country has taught him as well as other teammates leadership and teamwork. It has really helped him succeed in Cross country from everyone’s moral and constant support. Simon loves everything about cross country, his coaches, and specifically how much support they have given him. The cross country season has come to an end but the team will forever remember the memories they shared and their constant improvement in the sport.