The Stampede

Trust the Process

Back to Article
Back to Article

Trust the Process

Andrew Umipeg, RHS Sports Reporter

High School football season marks an incredibly significant span of time for schools nationwide.  The season is a time of excitement, not only for the team but for the fans in the bleachers as well.  With football season comes the thrill of being under the lights on Friday nights, enjoying good times with friends, and rooting on the school’s team.  The Mustang’s season this year was nothing short of this spectacle. Each Friday Night, students and families packed into the bleachers, cheering on the Mustangs in one of their most prosperous seasons in recent years.

The Mustangs began the season on a great note, going 3-2 in the Preseason, for their first winning record going into the regular season in 8 years.  Heading in with momentum, the Mustangs proved themselves in the long-awaited homecoming game against Fairfield with a final score of 44-7. The defense held strong, not allowing a touchdown until the fourth quarter while Johnson, Robinson, Mendoza, and Flores provided the scoring for the Mustangs on the other side of the ball.

Looking ahead to Wood, hopes were high for the Mustangs.  With a win against Wood and Armijo, the Mustangs would be advancing to their first playoff in almost 10 years.  Unfortunately, things didn’t pan out exactly how they planned… The Mustangs fell to Wood, 42-20. They were all devastated.  What was supposed to be their year, all of a sudden came crashing down.

The season wasn’t a complete bust, however.  The Mustangs did coast to a record of 5-5, the best Rodriguez Varsity Football record since 2009.  Even with the loss of some key seniors, the 2019 Mustangs should have a solid foundation of upcoming Senior talent to make a run for playoffs next year.  Sports is about managing the ups and the downs, staying focused, and trusting the process.