The Stampede

Go Mustangs, WOOO!

Andrew Umipeg, RHS Sports Reporter

The Homecoming football game is widely regarded as the pinnacle of all High School football games. It is always a fun and exciting time for everyone involved.  The stands are packed, the fans are roaring, the energy is incredible. Football teams thrive in these environments, and such was the case for the Rodriguez Mustangs as they trumped the Fairfield Falcons in a landslide victory of 44-7.  

This triumphant charge was led by several key individuals, including Senior Captain, Andrew Ammerman. Ammerman had a phenomenal performance against the Falcons: a sack, 10 tackles and his first interception of his career.  His stellar performance, coupled with his Homecoming King victory, left Ammerman ecstatic at the end of the night, “I feel hyped right now, and especially ready for the dance. I can’t wait for the rest of the season and chase history by being the first Mustang team in 10 years to go to playoffs.”

Among other stand out performers was Darion Johnson who had two touchdowns.  Johnson contributed to the point total on both sides of the ball with a punt return touchdown, and a pick six on defense.  Alex Mendoza also made a big play with a 50 yard touchdown reception off of a tipped pass by the Falcons. To top off the victory, history was set by kicker Nilesh Sandhu.  Sandhu broke the record for the longest field goal in school history at Rodriguez with a 44 yarder.

The Mustangs held strong on the defensive side of the ball with great efforts from Ryan Williams and Rianie Dangerfield.  Both individuals led the Mustangs defense to a stellar performance, keeping the Falcons scoreless through much of the game until late in the 4th quarter. The Mustangs look hopeful in their midseason form and are off to the best start to the season in 10 years.