The Stampede

Air is Overrated

Back to Article
Back to Article

Air is Overrated

Trinity Straddeck, RHS Sports Reporter

With this intense sport, we get to see people do things you never thought they do. We see ejections, fights, and things underwater that we can’t even explain! Something that we see often is the swimmers. Most swimmers do waterpolo due to the intensity of the game. Excellent swimming skills are a necessity in the game. Luckily, on our Varsity Boys water polo team, we have three amazing swimmers Caleb Strong (11),  Jaron Ramos (12), and Jarod Agustin (12). These swimmers have all been a huge help with the MEL wins for three years in a row. Jarod and Caleb have been on varsity since their freshman year, and both have broken numerous school records. You would think they only love to swim but they also love waterpolo as well. They both contribute to the team by scoring goals and winning sprints! Without the speed and endurance of these players, the team would be lost. Here are our amazing Mustangs!

Caleb Strong is a junior here at Rodriguez, he participates in water polo and swim. He just joined the water polo team this year and has been on the varsity swim team since freshman year. Caleb has done swim for about 8 years and has been a big help getting our Rodriguez swim team two MEL titles. Following in his brother Noah Strong’s footsteps, Caleb keeps the winning tradition alive.  He has been very close to breaking the 50 free school record, which is held by his brother, Noah, at 22.40. Caleb is right behind his brother with a 22.50, which he is hoping to change this upcoming swim season. Since starting the sport, he mentions how his mental game has to change between water polo and swim because even though both are in the water, it doesn’t mean they are the same. Caleb says, ¨Swimming is a more individual sport, but with water polo, you are working with other people, you’re working towards a common goal. With swim, it’s very individual with your own races and own goals.¨  

Jarod Agustin is a senior here at Rodriguez and has been swimming since he was 8 years old. Swimming has been his passion, but water polo is a sport he has grown to love. Agustin says ¨I’m better at swim but I really enjoy water polo, I really wish I started my freshman year.”  Jarod has been a big part of our swim team, breaking 2 relay records in the past 2 years and he isn’t far off from breaking the 50 free and 100 back records. As a swimmer, Jarod wasn’t too interested in the water polo, but once someone talked him into trying it out, he loved the sport and even told his swimmer friends, includingCaleb Strong to do it. Since Agustin has never been surrounded by any type of team before, he says one thing he enjoys is just being with the “bros” and making memories with them. He says, ¨Everytime we go to a tournament or an away game, I just find it really fun to hang out with the guys and getting ready for the next game¨.  

Jaron Ramos is a senior here at Rodriguez. You would think his size doesn’t match the sport but he is mighty. Jaron has been doing club swim since he was 8 years old, but then quit right when he started freshman year. He has been on varsity since his sophomore year and just like the others, he’s also been a big help with winning MEL titles for varsity swim. Ramos is the breaststroke master in swimming with a 1:04.5 in the 100 breast. With his speed and his arm power, he is a tremendous help to the team! Ramos has been on the water polo team for all four years and says he loves every minute of it. He says he loves ¨Eating a bunch of food with his teammates talking about everything after all day tournaments¨. Even though he’s been swimming for longer, he prefers water polo over swim since the sport is new and more interesting to him. Like I’ve said before, all these aquatic skills are very good but also very VERY different. Ramos says ¨You have a different set of skills, you have to strategize differently in water polo like working with a team rather than yourself.¨ Teamwork is a crucial part of the sport and without it, they would fail as a team.

All of these swimmers have talents that most do not. Water Polo isn’t a sport for everyone, but one thing all these boys suggest for swimmers about to start high school is to JOIN WATER POLO! They all wish they joined sooner to add onto their aquatic strengths. This year the two seniors Jaron Ramos and Jarod Agustin will play their last season of water polo and they are hoping to snatch the MEL title with a record of 2-0 so far. The boys’ water polo team has a fantastic season with Coach Al coaching last season for our program. Their next league match is against Fairfield High at Rodriguez and they will walk on the deck, snatch the win and go home! Keep up the hard work and remember what happens underwater… stays underwater!