The Stampede

NorCal Wildfires

Jordan Magee and Bianca Reyes, RHS World News Reporters

Next month is the anniversary of the California wildfires that came super close to home. The wildfires devastated thousands of acres and people across the state, engendering the scare of evacuation for Fairfield, Cordelia, and other cities all over the Bay Area.  

That fire and those after have negatively affected the air quality and people have been advised to not stay outside for long periods of time. The threat of these fires is still prevalent today, damaging homes left and right. More fires have begun since the previous Fairfield wildfires, and nowadays various news channels have been commenting on the potential health hazards.

In order to get more perspectives and information on the fires, we went around the school to hear what the students had to say on the matter. Samantha Fabie, a freshman, recalls the fires and remembers “feeling scared” when she had to evacuate her own house. Luckily, her house did not get lost to the fires. Nevertheless, she and her family were one of the generous people who helped out at the Napa Deli to provide firefighters with food for working so hard.

Riona Retiro, a sophomore, did not have an encounter with the fire, however, she expressed how fearful her and her family were last October, “I was scared. All my stuff was there and I can’t bring everything that I want to so we’d have to only bring the necessities that we need if we were going to stay somewhere. We could only bring a bag full of our clothes and all that. Everyone was scared in my family”. Though there were those who were not forced to evacuate, like Riona, the presence of a fire so close prompted fear among many in the area.

A different point of view is from a student (junior) who has a parent who is involved in the local public safety: Jace Sears. Jace informed us that his dad had called in a fire before it had spread while he was on duty for the CHP. He was so proud of his dad and is so fond of him for the work he does to help his community. These compassionate genes have passed down to Jace as well, as he helped at the Napa Deli, like Samantha, to make sandwiches for the firefighters.

Overall, the experiences connected with the fires have definitely created frightful personal experiences for people not just in the state but also in the surrounding communities. It has opened our eyes to how much more we should all be helping our community in times need and more importantly, it shows how we should value what we have, including our lives.