The Stampede

Remembering 9/11

The

The "Tribute in Light" memorial is in remembrance of the events of Sept. 11, 2001. The two towers of light are composed of two banks of high wattage spotlights that point straight up from a lot next to Ground Zero. This photo was taken from Liberty State Park, N.J., Sept. 11, the five-year anniversary of 9/11. (U.S. Air Force photo/Denise Gould)

Denise Gould

Denise Gould

Joy Moore, U.S./World News & Politics Editor

9/11 a day that will live in infamy and sorrow. On September 11, 2001, terrorists hijacked several planes and flew them into the world trade center and the pentagon. It wasn’t until the second tower was struck by a plane that everybody realized that the country was under attack. The attack was carried out by a Saudi-Arabian terrorist organization: al-Qaeda which was founded by Osama bin Laden.   

Many lives were lost on this day; about 3,000 people died. Did you know, 9/11 was the deadliest day in history for New York firefighters. 343 firefighters were killed while saving and protecting innocent civilians. On the morning of 9/11, many people said goodbye to their loved ones for the last time, unaware that they’ll never get to hug or talk to them ever again.

History educator Ms. McLaughlin shared how the attacks made her feel scared, worried and even angered, “I thought probably all of those things. As a history teacher I realized very quickly that it was going to be a really important day for me to be there for my students, it was also in the first week of our school even being open. That morning it was only my fourth day with those students so I knew that they were going to need a calming presence but I was also worried…I had to try to measure my own fear and check that a little bit so I could be there to support my students through a really scary time.” Ms. Mclaughlin was very lucky to not have lost someone close to her on that tragic day. She is also fearful of something similar happening again, “I am scared of that happening again of course with all the attacks that ISIS has perpetrated around the world in the last couple of years. It is really scary to think that another public place could be attacked in such a way…I mean the spectra of gun violence in the United States has sort of turned into our own home grown terrorist situation, so I don’t know about it happening on such a large scale, but I certainly know that the fear of being a public school teacher is always there”.

Sebastian Alatorre, a senior here at Rodriguez High voices how he feels like 9/11 has provided him with a sense of fear, “Unfortunately, it’s just crazy to think that in such an advanced civilization and when technology is at an all time high we have to deal with this… It’s just scary to think that it’s an issue we have to struggle with on a day to day basis. It definitely provides me with a sense of fear.” He believes that something like this could potentially happen again, “Yeah no doubt..despite security and all types of prevention, technological advancements. Technology is advancing in malicious ways, and it can be used against us. So I think that the sad truth is that we are always at risk or danger”.

Mr. Miller our band director here on campus describes the events that occured when he found out about 9/11. He was in college at Arizona State University and newly married to his wife Pam, “We had moved out there together. And we were getting ready for school…I got up first, and I saw on the news that a plane had hit one of the twin towers. My first thought: what frickin’ idiot flies a plane into a tower? I thought it was an accident…I’m like how is that possible? There’s so many safe havens. And as I woke up Pam, I told her “Sweetie, you gotta come. One of the twin towers is on fire, a plane hit it.” And she goes, “What?” And as we are walking back out, live, we saw the second plane hit. That’s when we both realized…We’re under attack. I felt absolute fear. Arizona State is in the flight path of Sky Harbor Airport. You hear jets all day, and you kind of tune it out because you’re used to it. Then, it was absolute silence. Everything was quiet. No more jets. I was so scared, we didn’t know who was after us. The disbelief was still there, and there was concern. Pam and I sat in front of the TV all day, and we watched the buildings fall. That was really scary, because at that point you know that thousands of people are dead. Then days later we found out who did this to us, and then it was the anger that would sit in. Being newly married, it was very sad to think about how many people lost their lives and their loved ones.” Miller expressed how he thinks something like this could occur again, “Yeah, I do. I think even with all the safeguards that we have, I think bad people are still going to find ways to hurt… good people for their various beliefs. I don’t know if it’d be on that large of a scale again, but I think it can. I don’t mind some of the stuff that you have to go through at the airport because ultimately, it’s for our safety.”

9/11 will always be a day that fills our hearts with sadness and hurt, but it is also a reminder that you have to love one another because you never know the last time you will ever see them. Simple arguments aren’t worth slamming the door, calling others mean names, or walking away. Whenever someone is leaving, always a say goodbye with a big hug and kiss and a simple ‘I love you’, wishing them a safe journey hoping that they will return. “Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend” (Martin Luther King Jr.).