The Stampede

Rodriguez Students: For or Against Family Separation?

Immigration has been a widespread problem in America and has become a very hot button issue recently with the election of President Donald Trump. With his campaign centered around enforcing stronger borders, many of his followers have supported his idea of building a wall on the US-Mexico border. There were many talks about the border even after he was elected, yet there has been little to no progress in constructing the wall.

As an alternative, the Trump Administration issued a policy that engendered the separation of families immigrating from across the border. This policy received huge backlash from the media, the public, and even world leaders from across the globe. To this day, not every family has been reunited, despite the government’s efforts to bring them back together. People all over the country have differing opinions on the subject, and we decided to go around the school and get the students’ opinions.

A Rodriguez senior, Marie Cavalli, feels tremendous pain for the immigrants who were involved in the separations, “Honestly, it really hurts because I’ve always been the type to put myself in other’s shoes.” She describes that seeing children being separated from their families makes her feel despair since she thinks the children have not done anything wrong. Another student, a junior named Ananya Yogi, has a similar opinion on the family separation issue. She firmly states, “Keep families together… their childhood should not be defined by their parents’ choices… Kids can’t choose their situation so to question separating immigrant families, why do that?” She affirms that the kids have no choice in immigrating since they have no choice but to follow what their parents do.

The topic is highly discussed, as there are always people who have a different opinion on family separations. Austin Peterson, a junior here at Rodriguez, states, “These people have broken the law by coming here illegally… but as long as they’re being treated humanely I think that it’s okay, however I see why it is a sensitive issue.”

There are also those who stand by family separations, but believe that the immigration system needs to be reformed. Senior, Thomas Anderson, states, “We could definitely make it easier to get in… and vet people better by making sure the ones getting in deserve to be getting in.”

The policy which enacted the family separations was put into action because of the illegal immigration issue we have right now in America. Students at this school have similar opinions: immigrants should be allowed here but need to go through the process. We as students do not know the whole story, or the ins and outs of the immigration system; however, our voices can and will be the ones that can change the future.