The Stampede

The Power of Social Media

Aman Bajwa, Moriah Costa, Aman Bajwa, and Moriah Costa

In the wake of the Facebook privacy crisis that may be linked to series issues in the 2016 Presidential Election, many people are concerned about the growth of the social media industry. In Mark Zuckerberg’s testimony to Congress, “the closest the Facebook CEO came to addressing the issue was when he acknowledged to Rep. Kathy Castor that Facebook collects data from users even when they’re not on Facebook and not even logged in to the platform. The extent of Facebook’s data collection is, ultimately, the core concern of Facebook’s business. The company brings in $40 billion in advertising revenue annually because it offers brands data that gives them an unparalleled ability to target consumers,” according to CNN. The growth of social media is felt even here on campus.

A lot of students at RHS use various social media platforms for various personal reasons. Senior Promise Nickson says “posting online helps me put myself out there so I can get into modeling”. Another student, Juan Jose Coria got into posting online because he “saw other creators posting online and it influenced me to gain followers and share my hobbies and what I like”. A lot of students love to share their lives and interests on social media but they can agree that the internet and social media can have a negative impact on society and culture. For this reason, a lot of students are comfortable posting photos of themselves and hobbies but they do want to keep certain things private. Promise shared that she wanted to keep “her business private” while Coria likes to keep his family private. Students agree that there is often a negative bias online. Senior Noah Bennett also noted that “the internet has a lot of influence today on politics”, a current issue that is affecting America today.

Regarding social media regulations, a lot of students agree that social media should be somewhat regulated, however, there are perks to having a completely free internet. While Bennett acknowledges that “people can do and say anything online” which can cause problems, he believes social media should only be regulated in certain instances. Coria has a slightly different view, claiming “I don’t think social media should be regulated [at all] because social media gives people new opportunities”.

Overall, while social media can cause problems in society, it is the way of the future. Social media in of itself is not a problem however it can be used in negative ways. Using the platforms in a responsible way can create amazing opportunities and allow people to express themselves and share interests.

If you want to follow these RHS students on Instagram:

Promise Nickson is @promlo

Juan Jose Coria is @juanjosecoria

Authors: Moriah Costa and Aman Bajwa are @amocoproject