The Stampede

New Homework Policy For the New Semester: Is It Realistic?

Alexann Wangeline and Savleen Binning

Starting this semester, Rodriguez High School implemented a new homework policy. Vice Principal Ms. Allison Klein spread the news through her twitter: the policy states that non-weighted classes are only allowed to assign an hour and a half of homework per week while weighted classes are only allowed two hours.

We interviewed a variety of teachers who all had mixed opinions about this new policy. Mr . Meyers, an AP US History teacher, said he supports the idea behind the policy but believes that homework should be assigned since it is a valuable tool to learn discipline and positive work habits. Personally he believes that it is “definitely necessary but not always the most effective.” Ms. Krutz described her feelings as “indifferent.” While she believes two hours is efficient, she argues that sometimes there’s different circumstances, specifically in English where it’s important to practice skills and improve reading comprehension outside of class.

While other teachers were indifferent about the policy, French teacher Mr. Remy leans more towards being against homework. He doesn’t assign homework on a daily basis in his classes, and therefore acquiesces to the new policy. He understands some teachers have to assign a lot of homework to fit in the curriculum but also sympathizes with students who have other commitments, such as jobs and extracurriculars. He doesn’t think that all students can be expected to have all necessary tools and time to complete the homework proficiently and not just get it done, but rather argues if students have time to get a better understanding of material on their own and have an outlet to ask for help, they will succeed – even without hours of homework.  

The ones most affected by the new policy are the students. Students frequently struggle with managing school and homework while simultaneously being involved with sports, community service, and jobs that will help them to get into college. In a poll conducted on The Stampede’s  twitter page, 61% of people were for the policy, 20% said it had no affect on them, while 19% were against it. Junior Remia Lindsay, who takes both AP and CP classes while also practicing for a dance competition 5 times a week, says she has “sometimes as much as 5 hours a day of homework.” When told about the new policy she states, “it’s done nothing for me.”  Sophomore Angad Takhar agrees, he “hasn’t really seen a difference” ; however, he only has about 2 and a half hours of homework a night.

Overall, the homework policy seems to affect the teachers who struggle to fit in the curriculum they are required to teach, more than the students completing the homework. As the policy is new, only time will tell if the homework policy has drastic effects on student and teacher life.