The Stampede

Lady Mustang Soccer Kickoff

“1,2,3… Break someone’s clavicle!”

With another season of prep girls soccer upon us, the Lady Mustang soccer teams are ambitious as always with big hopes on the season. After a 3rd place finish last year, the Mustangs were pleased with their season’s performance, but not completely satisfied. They strive to continually improve and never settle for less than their best. Senior Cassie Garza, one of the team captains, explained the team’s vision by saying “we want to work on chemistry because we usually rely on individual players, and we want to become more of a team.” Anyone knows that high school is tough and getting along with others can be a challenge. However, gathering a group of high school girls on a team and putting them in a high-stress athletic environment is a much more difficult challenge. The Mustangs have to learn to be friends with each other on and off the field.

But for the Lady Mustangs, team conflicts are far and few between. Senior Kristin Rogers explained that “our coach is so funny, and we have a lot of big personalities on the team. We work hard, but we also have a lot of fun!” This team is very close and full of antics. While talking to team members I heard stories of meditation circles, getting kicked out of Target in between tournament games, and a lot of dancing and singing. But they also know when it’s time to get serious. Before each game, the coaches will leave the girls alone to allow them to huddle up as they give each other inspirational talks to pump them up and go out and compete.

Led by team captains, Cassie Garza (12), Caitlyn Helweg (12), and Hannah Corn (11), Coach Josh Levine is sure these girls are more than good enough to get the job done. He feels that this team has more talent and passing ability than last year’s team. Now passing ability may seem insignificant to other traits like defense or scoring, but with proper team chemistry and passes, the Lady Mustangs could be a serious force to reckon with.

League play starts on January 11th and if their preseason performance says anything so far (4-2-2), the Mustangs should be quite a force in the Monticello Empire League.